This is not a proper recipe in my opinion, is more a basic method to have some delicious marinated tofu in less than half an hour, ready to serve along with any of your cravings.
I use to have this marinated tofu in sandwiches, but really this can be used in many ways.
Basic Marinated Tofu
1 block of firm tofu
2 Tbsp Juice lemon
1/3 Cup Soy sauce
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tsp smoked paprika or 3 drops of liquid smoke
1/2 Tsp salt
1 Tbsp vegetable oil to pan fry
- Start preparing you marinate sauce in a shallow container. Pour every ingredient listed except the tofu and oil. Mix well and reserve.
- Rinse and gently press the tofu to get most of the liquid off, and dry with a paper towel.
- Once your bock is clean and dry, cut it into fine rectangular slices of 2 cm each, and place them into your marinate sauce.
- Let the tofu absorb the liquid for 2 minutes and then gently flip every slice trying not to broke them. Wait another 2 minutes to the tofu soak into the sauce.
- Into a fry pan at medium high heat add the oil to get hot, after that add the tofu and let it cook for about 4 minutes per side.
- If you see the tofu gets stick in the pan, let like that until its get crusty outside. Do not try to remove it before since you probably will brake the slice apart, once the crust its formed is a better moment to use a spatula and try to remove them very carefully, and flip every slice to the other side.
- repeat the same process on this side. you can decide how hard you want them to be, the more you cook them, the more “chew-able” their are going to be. I like them very cooked so they gets with a sort of rubbery texture.
Now you can assembly your sandwich with ingredients of your preference. As you can see I added some sauteed garlicky spinach and dressed it with roasted red pepper humus.
Also you can use them in a salad, finely chop them into cubes and top a soup, add it to a fried potatoes or you ramen, you know: so many amazing options are available! Or if you are doing this tofu slices ahead, after it gets cold, you can storage in a plastic container for about 3 days.
As always, if you have a question or comment, leave it below or just reach me on Facebook or Instagram!