I made this salad inspired by the nostalgia. Yeap! Every time I went to my grandmother’s house there was a huge bowl of celery curls.
Is something that I miss so much from my grandmother, who was a HUGE fan of celery. She have it in any season of the year, no matter if it was raining and cold as freezing, she founds the way to get some celery inside the meal. Celery flavor was like HER sign in the kitchen, and I just loved it.
But her celery curls were my favorite: so crunchy, fresh and aromatic, she used to mixed it with ripe avocado chunks, a little bit of lemon juice and salt. So simple and just extremely delicious!
This time I took her method to make those celery stalks curl, and change a bit the original salad using the avocado for a dressing instead of of just throwing them in chunks.
So here is the method to make the celery gets curled, fresh and crunchy, and make a big bash to have them along the week, if you could resist not eat the whole salad in one seat.
Celery Curls with Avocado dressing
4 Celery stalks
1 Cup of green leaves (kale, lettuce, even col)
2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
1/2 ripe avocado
1 lemon (juice)
1/4 Cup water
1 Tbsp parsley
1 Tsp garlic powder
A pinch salt
A pinch Black pepper
- Rinse thoroughly the celery stalks, cut them in half and let them hydrate in a bowl with fresh water for half an hour at least.
- With the help of a sharp knife take most of the strings and fiber off the celery: with the knife pinch the fiber and pull it off all along the stalk. Repeat with all the sticks.
- After cleanse the celery, cut then in smaller sticks and make fine cuts at every end. This will gives the “curl” appearance on the sticks.
- Change the water on your bowl, and add your chopped celery, covering it with fresh water and let bring them to the fridge for 1 hour at least. After that time you’ll see your celery curls.
Making the dressing is even easier!
- Put everything on the dressing ingredients on a blender and process until smooth.
- In a salad bowl place a bed of green leaves, the celery over and dress it with the avocado salsa. Top it with chopped walnuts. Now just enjoy!
This salad is amazingly fresh, ideal for these hot summer days. So simple and comforting at the same time, and for me ‘a ticket to my memories’ in Chile, when I used to have my grandma’s amazing celery salad.
This salad is a great option to make for a BBQ, in a potluck party or a picnic. Also can goes very well with quinoa, grilled potatoes and just by it self.
As always, you can check my Facebook and Instagram, for more recipes o if you would like to leave any comments, questions and others, I’ll be glad to see you there!
Looks so beautiful & delicious ! Love the idea of using celery curls and preparing avocado dip.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you! hope you try it 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person