Yesterday’s dinner was incredible!
As many times in life, I wanted something but I couldn’t identify exactly what kind of food was. So I just opened the fridge and start searching, when I crossed with those leftover broken tortilla chips. You know, those poor little pieces of chips that remain in the bottom of the package that barely can hold any amount of guacamole or salsa, and instantly came to my mind that hearty and comfy Tortilla soup that “Los Cuates” Restaurant use to sell: A good amount of chips in the bottom covered with a hot and savory broth, topped with all the Mexican goodness like avocado, cheese, sour cream, chilies, etc. But not vegan.
So, in that moment I decided to make my own vegan version of that soup, which came out perfect! Here is the recipe:
Vegan Tortilla Soup
1 to 2 cups of broken tortilla chips
1/2 onion, diced
2 minced garlic cloves
1 small tomato, diced (about half a cup)
4 mushrooms, chopped
6 Oz. firm tofu (1/4 a package approx)
2 Tsp. bouillon + 2 cups water ( or 2 cups of vegetable broth)
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Tsp oregano
1/2 Tsp cumin
1/8 Tsp black pepper
1 Chipotle in sauce or 1 Tsp of chipotle powder (optional)
2 Tbsp shredded Cheese (could be replaced by nutritional yeast)
1/4 avocado to garnish
2 Tsp cashew nuts cream or sour cream to garnish
- In a warm pot at medium high heat, put the oil, garlic and onions to stir frying for about a minute.
- Add the mushrooms and let them sweat, this could take about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and tofu in scrambles, lover the heat to medium and let them cook covered for about 5 minutes, or until you see all the tomatoes are almost dissolved.
- In the meantime, prepare the broth by dissolving the bouillon in the 2 cups of warm water, or just use vegetable broth.
- After 5 minutes, pour the broth in the pot and stir.
- Add the spices: oregano, cumin, chipotle and black pepper, stir and taste. (I didn’t add any salt since always those broken chips hold A LOT of salt in the bottom of the bag, so you have to taste it and add if its needed).
- Cover the pot and let it simmer at low heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- To assembly place the desired amount of chips in a bowl topped by shredded vegan cheese and a piece of avocado. Cover them with the soup and finally garnish with sour cream and cilantro at taste.
This soup is just a party in your mouth!!! all those pieces of chips will release their flavor into the broth, your cheese will melt and the final result will be you having a smoky, spicy, savory and amazing soup.
This recipe takes only half hour to prepare, and even less to eat, sadly because it is so good! and it is hard to eating slowly.
Hope you’ll give it a try 😉