Everybody has a holidays recipe fav, mine is Gingerbread Cookies!
I just love them, but I like them in a specific way: a little crispy outside, very soft and smooth in side, load with ginger, plus cinnamon, nutmeg, no cloves. When I was vegetarian, I used to get them at Aldis, but they are not suitable for me since they have eggs and milk.
As many recipes, gingerbread cookies can be made without animal products, and is very easy to prepare them, and most of the ingredients you already have them in your pantry: flour, sugar, baking powder, spices…
This is a recreation of the classic cookies everybody knows and wants in Christmas, have them with hot cocoa, milk or like me, with a big mug of bold coffee (no sugar C: )
Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flax meal + 4 Tbsp water)
1/4 cup maple syrup or molasses
1 1/2 Tsp baking powder
1/4 Tsp baking soda
1/2 Tsp salt
3 Tbsp Margarine (at room temperature)
2 Tbsp Ginger powder
2 Tsp cinnamon
1 Tsp Nutmeg
2 Tsp vanilla
- In a bowl mix the margarine, sugar, molasses, vanilla and flax egg with a hand mixer, until you get a soft mixture.
- In another bowl mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
- With the help of a spatula, slowly pour the dry ingredients over the wet mixture, and mix until form a dough.
- Put your dough in a plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven at 350 f
- Take the dough out of the fridge and make your cookies dividing the dough in to little balls of 1 1/2 inch diameter.
- In a linen baking tray, place a ball and gently press it down to make it flat, it should be 1/4 of inch of thick.
- Give space enough to each cookie to let them rise inside the oven.
- Bake them at 350 f for 15 minutes.
I covered them with icing and some sprinkles to give that Christmas cookie look. You only have to make a thick paste with confectionery sugar and few teaspoons of water. My mixture was: 1 cup of confectionery sugar and 1 1/2 Tsp water. To make it very smooth I’ve sift the sugar and then added the water and form a paste with a hand mixer. After the icing is ready, the rest is playing with cookies and sprinkles!
Hope you like this recipe and make it for this holidays 🙂